Tuesday, February 3, 2015

"I Have Ambitions" -- Hafsa

     After this twenty-first century student with cell-phone, earbuds, and a laptop helped me decipher a handwritten email address, I asked her if I could interview her about her educational experiences as a Muslim female.  "Of course," she laughed.

     Naturally, I had to get the hijab question out of the way.  She wore a colorful pink head scarf and was covered wrist to ankles with clothing one might see on any college campus in the US--a long top, leggings, and casual shoes.  Hafsa chose to start veiling about three years ago.

     Her reasoning?  When she's covered she's merely a person.  Her looks and physique aren't being "checked out" and so she can be known for her conversation, actions, and character.  She uncovers when with Mehram (family members or others that she could not marry), but generally Islam prohibits touching or gazing upon eligible men.  Hafsa says Islam also proscribes a dress code for men:  they are to be covered from the navel to the ankles.  These practices vary though based upon culture.

I didn't snap a pic of Hafsa, but this looks like her style.  
Mariam Sobh is the founder of Hijabtrendz, a fashion site for Muslim girls.

    
     Hafsa was educated in a Seventh Day Adventist school in this city through grade 10.  A Kashmiri transplant, her father, a banker, moved the family to Hyderabad when he was transferred.  At the Christian school, children of varying backgrounds were treated equally.  Only Government holidays, along with Christmas, were celebrated in school instead of Hindu or Muslim holidays.   After graduation Hafsa tested into an all-girl Intermediate College in biophysics for grades 11 and 12.  Students were grouped according to their marks and the best education was awarded the best students.

     Hafsa reports no major discrimination at the Intermediate College although India's affirmative action policy (known as Reservations) did not apply to Muslim students.  She notes that governmental practices on a larger scale may discriminate against Muslims in terms of limited funding for the maintenance of Muslim monuments, lack of enforcement for equal spending in Kashmir, a largely Muslim state.  She feels that socially Muslims are included in the life of the city.  

     Since her parents are fairly liberal, Hafsa never attended the Madrasa--an educational system that traditionally emphasized Muslin teachings.  The Madrasa, she says, is about the rules and restrictions of the religion rather than the beliefs.  

     Hafsa is studying psychology and has researched Martin Seligman's theories of happiness. She is currently investigating the neurological impact of diet.




4 comments:

  1. It's incridibe reading about a girl who accomplished so much without a proper education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What surprised you?
    I think hearing how her parents aren't that strict, you tend to hear about how strict the religion is.
    What are you reminded of in your own experience with this entry?
    For me it would be able to relate how my parents dont make me go to church.
    What would you like to know more about.
    nothing tbh

    ReplyDelete
  3. What surprised you?
    -What surprised me was how At the Christian school, children of varying backgrounds were treated equally.

    What are you reminded or in your own experience with this entry?
    -With this entry, it reminded me of myself in a way because while I don't wear a hijab, I still would rather prefer that people to me would rather just see me as a person and get to know my personality over my looks.

    What would you like to know more about?
    -I would like to know more about the all-girl Intermediate College in biophysics for grades 11 and 12 that Hafsa attended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most surprising part of this post was the reasoning behind her participation in veiling. I never knew that so many people have a choice in both their participation and when they choose to start veiling. I love that she chooses to wear these things because she wants people to grow an opinion about her by starting with a blank canvas. This reminds me of myself but in the opposite way, I prefer to wear clothing that gives an insight into my personality and disposition. I wear different things when im in different moods and it allows me to express myself as well as my interests. I would like to learn more about the different education that is provided in India. Through this post I can see that there are many different schools that apply to various types of people with separate beliefs, morals and goals.

    ReplyDelete