Sunday, January 25, 2015

India Eats

     How are you liking the food?

     I like most food; Indian food is no exception.   I've consumed almost no processed food,  no coffee, little meat since I've been here and I feel great.

     Some notable features of Southern Indian food:
  • Dishes typically contain over five different spices or herbs--so a typical dish may taste spicy with hints of the Middle East along with a garlic onion base.
  • Several small dishes are generally served with a carbohydrate (whether potato, wheat, rice, or lentil based) 
  • The small dishes are mixed with the carb bit by bit and typically eaten with the right hand
  • Meat is uncommon
  • A wide variety of cooked vegetables (cauliflower, okra, tomatoes, eggplant, squash, potatoes, onions, green chiles) are prepared with a wide variety of spices 
  • Dishes vary from region to region
  • Sweets are generally tapioca or lemon bar in consistency
  • Spices such as mustard seed, cumin, tumeric, chiles, peppercorns combined with herbs like mint, oregano, cilantro and the standard Asian garlic, onion, ginger combo
  • Chai tea is smooth and coffee is served with sweetened milk
Breakfast today:  a savory pancake, Uttapbam with Sambar-
a spicy soup for dipping

Lunch:  Roti (tortilla-like) with creamy chutney,
gobi (cauliflower sauce),
a green vegetable I do not know, and yogurt called curd.

Biryani is Hyderabad specialty:  lemon rice on top,
served with chicken or lamb in a spicy sauce,
mixed together at the table in a metal dish

Dal is made from long cooked creamy lentils
with mustard seed, asfoetida, chili, cumin, and maybe tumeric.
India's comfort food. 

Dosa are crepes made with rice flour filled with potatoes or another savory veggie. 

Sambar is a uniquely spiced soup served for dipping or mixing with rice 

Sambal is an incredibly hot chili/lime condiment.  A dab'll do it.

6 comments:

  1. Food looks amazing! I want to take a dab of that Sambal no matter how hot it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's honestly surprising that meat is not as incorporated as it is in typical american dishes. This kind of food reminds me somewhat of the diverse food served in LA or California because they seem to have more things like this unlike in Colorado where you're surrounded by steak houses. I'd like to know more about how these dishes are prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me it surprised me how there is more healthy foods than america has. I am reminded by the pictures of the soups because my mom makes soups to but not as how they do. I like spicy food too they add more flavor to the food. I think it would be pretty cool if I were to learn how to make the food so I would like to learn how to make the foods they make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The diversity between the foods that we are more familiar with are drastic compared to all of the different dishes that you were able to try on your trip. Its cool that they have a lot of staples in each of their meals like rice or soup and also bring a lot of diversity by adding different dippings and condiments to each of the foods they make. I would love to be able to travel and try some of the dishes similar to the ones that you were able to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What surprised you?
    -What surprised me the most was how most of the foods in India usually have 5 or more different spices and herbs.

    What are you reminded of in your own experience with this entry?
    -With this entry, It reminded me of some of the food we have here in the U.S like soups and hot chili sauces we use or salsa.

    What would you like to know more about?
    -I would like to get to know more about what the common desserts to eat in India are since this post mainly focused on the typical foods with spices that are eaten and made in India.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What surprised you?
    The was it all looks so good
    What are you reminded of in your own experience with this entry?
    It reminded me in how it is growing up with a different culture rather than whats around you.
    What would you like to know more abou

    ReplyDelete